You’ve probably heard the saying, “beauty comes from the inside out.” It’s a pretty common phrase, but what does it really mean?
Researchers now understand that what you eat can have a direct impact on your outward appearance, and that includes the appearance of your skin. Yes, what fills up your stomach can impact what you see in the mirror.
There are foods that promote glowing skin (antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables), and foods that lead to dull and dry skin (processed foods or those high in sugar and fat).
Here is what you will want to know:
Eat Your Way to Fabulous Skin
There are about a dozen helpful foods that can make your skin appear radiant, glowing, and flawless. Each of these healthy nutrients is easily found at your corner grocery store and should be simple for you to include in your daily diet.
- Omega Fatty Acids. Fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel, sardines, and herring, are excellent foods for healthy skin. They’re rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which many published studies show are important for maintaining skin health, especially keeping skin moisturized. These fatty acids help with the production of collagen to keep the skin elastic, strong, and wrinkle-free. In addition, evidence shows us that omega-3 fatty acids have remarkable properties and can help reduce the risk of non-melanoma skin cancers.
- Avocados. If you’re not a fish eater, you can still get healthy fats by adding avocado to your plate. The high levels of healthy oils combined with vitamin E are what make avocados great for your skin. These nutrients provide the building blocks for healthy skin cells as well as support proper hydration. The compounds in avocados may help protect your skin from sun damage that can lead to wrinkles and other signs of aging while giving you more supple, springy skin. If you have dry skin, bring on the guac!
Nuts and Seeds. And there are still more options for getting the support from omega fatty acids.
If you are a vegetarian, nuts may provide the same benefits as fatty fish. Many seeds and nuts are high in vitamin E and work to maintain healthy levels of collagen.
Whether you choose walnuts, sunflower seeds, almonds, or chia seeds, they are packed with healthy vitamins and minerals that aid in smoother-looking skin. Science supports these benefits. One study found that eating almonds improved facial wrinkles and led to a more even skin tone. In general, nuts and seeds are good sources of skin-boosting nutrients.
- Chocolate. You’ve probably been told that chocolate causes acne. If you have a sensitivity to chocolate, then yes, that might happen. However, scientific data shows there are incredible ways chocolate helps your skin:
- Green Tea. Loaded with powerful antioxidants called catechins, green tea helps fight damaging inflammation which can lead to acne, rosacea, atopic dermatitis, and more. This ancient beverage protects against skin aging and sun damage while it boosts moisture and elasticity. It’s time to try swapping a cup of coffee for a round of beneficial green tea.
- Blueberries. Antioxidants are one of the most important factors in maintaining beautiful skin, and eating blueberries is one of the easiest ways to get them. Antioxidants help fight and neutralize free radicals (one of the skin’s worst enemies). Free radicals are known to damage skin cells and collagen, causing wrinkles, dry skin, and a host of other unwanted aging skin issues. Blueberries are also full of vitamin A, which helps normalize oil levels in your skin, making it a natural way to help with acne-prone skin.
- Kiwi. With more vitamin C than oranges, kiwis are antioxidant superheroes. Studies show that vitamin C may lock in moisture, protect skin against UV damage, and help with the production of collagen. Although you may not have put kiwis in your shopping cart before, give them a try. Eat them when they’re fully ripe, since this is when they have the most antioxidants.
- Broccoli. Continuing on the vitamin C bandwagon, this cruciferous green veggie packs a huge vitamin C punch to boost collagen production which softens fine lines and reduces wrinkles. Remember, collagen is what keeps the skin from sagging, and gives it a plump and youthful look. Broccoli also contains a component called sulforaphane, which can work to protect your skin from sunburn.
- Bell Peppers. These are another veggie high in vitamin C to help keep skin firm and strong. You can toss bell peppers into salads, make fajitas, or just bite into them on their own. The vitamin C content helps smooth out your skin and lighten the appearance of any dark spots caused by the overproduction of pigmentation. Eating plenty of Vitamin C is linked to a reduced risk of wrinkles and dry skin that develops as we age.
- Sweet Potatoes. Vitamin A is packed into sweet potatoes. That is one reason why sweet potatoes can help reduce sun damage. Vitamin A is an effective stimulant of collagen, and helps decrease premature aging of the skin. Sweet potatoes also have good levels of vitamin C and E to help repair skin that is damaged from exposure to UV light. Don’t wait until Thanksgiving to add this healthy food to your meal plan!
- Turmeric: This trendy spice contains curcumin, an antioxidant that combats free radicals that dull your complexion. Not only does turmeric work to bring out your skins’ natural glow, but it can also renew the skin, improve elasticity and firmness, and help fight wrinkles and fine lines. If you have never used it, these benefits make it worth a try. Sprinkle turmeric on your scrambled eggs, blend it straight into a smoothie, toss it with roasted vegetables, or use it in soups to create a new flavor to your foods with added health benefits.
- Water. It doesn’t get simpler than this. Water is an easy way to give your skin a magnificent glow, especially if you’re prone to dry skin. Initial research discovered that there is a relationship between hydration and a healthy skin appearance. When you drink enough water, impurities and toxins get flushed out and blood flow is increased for improved skin tone.
Staying hydrated can also increase elasticity and moisture, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Drinking adequate amounts of H2O can also help with that unwanted puffiness. It can even balance your pH levels and lead to fewer clogged pores and acne.
What Not to Eat for Healthy Skin
You may notice from the list above that you really can’t go wrong with fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and fatty fish. But there are some things you should avoid when you want smooth, luxurious-looking skin.
- The diuretic effect of alcohol can wreak havoc on your skin, sucking out the moisture and contributing to a sunken and washed-out look. Liquor doesn’t need to be completely off-limits, but be sure to toast your celebrations in moderation. Taking in non-alcoholic extra fluids like water when you drink will help.
- Watch your daily intake of caffeinated drinks (like those popular energy beverages). They can dehydrate your skin and magnify the appearance of fine lines.
- The glycemic index is a measure used to determine how much food can affect your blood sugar levels. Research suggests that that diets with a high glycemic index (GI) causes a spike in blood sugar and insulin and this has been linked to skin issues like acne.
Consuming large quantities of sugar will harm collagen and can prematurely cause wrinkles. High GI foods include some items that might be in your pantry right now:
- sugary cereals and juices
- chips, candy, cookies
- white bread, potatoes, white rice, white pasta, tortillas
- foods with added sugars
You don’t have to give up these foods completely, but be aware of how they affect your complexion.
The Benefit of High-Quality Skincare Products
Beautiful skin starts with nourishment from within, but every one of us should add products that support the health of our skin to our daily routine.
Revitol is a state-of-the-art skincare company that is committed to providing the optimum ingredients in each and every product. Their formulas are based on documented published scientific evidence to deliver the results you expect. The team at Revitol is absolutely dedicated to providing premium, safe, and effective health and beauty treatment products that deliver unsurpassed quality and value.
With almost 20 years of experience, Revitol has proven to be one of the most trusted companies in the category They stand behind all their products with a 90-day guarantee so you can make a purchase with ultimate confidence.
For the best, most radiant, and youthful skin, take some time to review the foods you eat and add Revitol Skincare Products to your daily plan. In just a few short weeks, you can transform your skin and fall back in love with your complexion.